The Bernardine Church of St. John of Dukla in Dukla

Bernardyńska 2, 38-450 Dukla
49°33'34"N 21°40'56"E

Dukla is the central Polish place of worship of this patron of the Przemyśl archdiocese and the Polish knighthood - St. John of Dukla. A few years after the monk's beatification, the first wooden church was erected here on a plot of land donated by Józef Wandalin Mniszech, father of the Jerzy mentioned above. The church was consecrated in 1742, and a monastery was built next to it. However, already in 1761, the construction of a new, brick church was started. It was consecrated in 1764. However, it was not until the 1770s that it gained a baroque façade and two impressive towers, funded by the builder of the Dukla palace - Jerzy August Mniszech.

The present appearance of the temple, in turn, is due to the reconstruction after the fire that destroyed the church in 1835, causing such huge losses that its restoration lasted until the beginning of the 20th century. At that time, the polychrome was made by the painter Tadeusz Popiel, depicting the life and cult of Jan from Dukla.

In 1974, the relics of Bl. John arrived at Dukla, taken from Lviv in 1946 and stored with the Bernardines in Rzeszów. Finally, in 1997, the sanctuary was visited by Pope John Paul II during his pilgrimage to Poland, when he canonized John of Dukla at the airport in Krosno, in the presence of nearly 700,000 faithful.

Get the app