The Golden Well

49°31'58"N 21°42'20"E (49.533, 21.705611)

The Golden Well is a place where the Chapel of St. John of Dukla and the spring flowing out of the rock are fitted with stone timbering, on which the chapel stands. This place is located on the yellow trail leading from Dukla to Cergowa.

According to local tradition or legend, it was here that St. Jan of Dukla, who was born around 1414 in nearby Dukla, began his hermit's life. Before he made his religious vows, he became a hermit, first living here, near Cergowa, where he dug the well that exists to this day and called it "golden". However, when the shepherds began to disturb his solitary asceticism, he moved to the Zaśpit hill located further from the settlements. Only later did he decide to enter the Franciscan Order (then its Bernardine branch), in which he served as guardian, incl. in Krosno and Lviv, he was enjoying great authority. He died in Lviv on September 29, 1484, in the opinion of sanctity. His liturgical memorial falls on July 8. The Golden Well is still a pilgrimage destination, and on the third Sunday of July, pilgrimage masses are held here.

Get the app

Nasza witryna wykorzystuje pliki cookies, m.in. w celach statystycznych. Jeżeli nie chcesz, by były one zapisywane na Twoim dysku zmień ustawienia swojej przeglądarki.
Więcej na ten temat...