The Franciscan Church and the Monastery in Sanok

Franciszkańska 7, 38-500 Sanok
49°33'38"N 22°12'25"E (49.560567, 22.207094)

The Franciscan Church and the Monastery in Sanok it was established on 27th of February 1377. The creation of the Franciscan Monastery in Sanok associates with the person of Prince Władysław Opolczyk, as on his initiative in the years 1372-1376 the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built behind the city walls, which was granted to the Order of Minorites from Lviv, i.e. the Franciscans. In 1384 the decision regarding moving the Franciscans to the city center was made and more temples in the city center were built, which were burned by fire a few times. In the years 1632-1640 the monastery was rebuilt again, this time from the crushed rock gravel, but it was also partially burned by the fire in 1872, so the Franciscan Church was thoroughly rebuilt.

The monastery complex is situated on the corner of the old town, on the embankment. The main altar in the church was built in 1887, according to the design of Ferdynand Majerski from Przemyśl. In the central part there is a late Baroque crucifix, which in the 17th century was the subject of a special cult and had many votive offerings. On the left is a painting of Our Lady of Consolation presenting Mary adoring the sleeping Baby Jesus. Both figures are dressed in a silver - Baroque dress, made around 1700. In turn, on the right side there is a painting of St. Anthony of Padua with Baby Jesus on his left arm and a lily in his right hand. On the left is the chapel of St. Francis of Assisi and on the right is chapel of St. Maksymilian Kolbe. The church is ornately decorated and has many polychromes. It is situated on the Mary Trail (Light from the East).

This place is on following trails

Get the app

Nasza witryna wykorzystuje pliki cookies, m.in. w celach statystycznych. Jeżeli nie chcesz, by były one zapisywane na Twoim dysku zmień ustawienia swojej przeglądarki.
Więcej na ten temat...