The Orthodox Church dedicated to Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Ustrzyki Dolne

Szkolna 7, 38-700 Ustrzyki Dolne
49°25'52"N 22°35'26"E

The Orthodox Church dedicated to Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Ustrzyki Dolne is one of the 12 Orthodox churches of Sanok decanate, which still serves to Greek Catholics. It was constructed and consecrated in 1847. As an Orthodox Church it served to believers until 1951, when as a result of H-T Action, the inhabitants were resettled to other areas so the church began to serve to Roman Catholics. It served them only for a year because later it was used as a warehouse which resulted in a severe destruction of the Orthodox church. On 18th of December 1985, by the decision of the Bishop of Przemyśl Ignacy Tokarczuk, the Church was returned to Greek Catholics.

The Orthodox church is made of brick and plastered, dichotomous with a closed presbytery and a wide nave. From the north side to the presbytery the sacristy adheres. The original equipment did not survive, in the interior we can admire contemporary iconostasis. A bell-gable tower is near the church. The original bells were deported in 1951 to the Orthodox Church in Strwiążyk, where they strangely disappeared. The bells hanging at present are probably from the Orthodox church in Dźwiniacz Dolny. At the Church cemetery nearby only the oak cross of the 1938 was preserved in memory of the 950th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus.

This place is on following trails

Get the app