The smaller Basilica of Saint Egid is the most prominent monument on the square in Bardejov. They started to build it in the early 15th century probably on the site of the Cistercian monastery. The temple obtained the form of a brilliant Gothic three-nave basilica. The construction of the church was completed by closing the nave from 1513 to 1518. In simple in respect of shapes, even raw architecture, there are many details and works of art. In the collection of 11 late-Gothic wing altars constructed in the period from 1460 to 1520, the side altar of the Nativity of the Lord, which belongs to the circle of the Kraków workshop of W. Stwosz is considered the most precious. The sculpture of the Throne of Grace at the threshold of the altar of Saint Barbara, which was probably made in the workshop of Master Paul of Levoča, is considered the leading sculpture work in Slovakia. The temple was raised to the rank of a minor basilica in 2001.